Have you always wanted a whiter and brighter smile? Teeth whitening is a simple, and safe procedure that can lighten stained or discoloured teeth and refresh your smile. The results can be quite dramatic, two hours in a dental chair can transform stained or discoloured teeth into a whiter smile. There is also a whitening kit specially made for you by your dentist that allows you to lighten your teeth in the comfort of your own home.
Causes of Discoloured Teeth
There are various reasons why teeth become discoloured. While many of these reasons are preventable, discolouration is a process that will naturally occur as you get older. Some people are simply born with yellowish teeth.
The most common reason why teeth become discoloured are;
- Disease/sickness- certain antibiotics or medication can cause tooth discolouration
- Smoking- Smoking can lead to a number of health and dental problems, however the main problem linked with smoking is tooth discolouration.
- Age- Discolouration is a process that will naturally occur when you get older
- Enamel thickness- The appearance of enamel can be affected by genetic or developmental conditions. It can also be washed away by acid erosion or worn away by grinding and clenching.
- Food and drink- Tea, coffee and wine can all stain your teeth, while eating particular fruits can also lead to discolouration.
- Hygiene- Regular brushing and flossing is required to prevent stains or plaque build-up.
For the majority of patients, we recommend whitening your teeth in the comfort of your own home, as it’s the most cost effective and efficient way to get results. Firstly, we ensure that your oral hygiene is of a sound standard. An impression (mould) is taken of your teeth using special dental "putty" to fabricate your custom made whitening trays. The whitening gel is placed into your trays and the tray is then placed onto your teeth for a period of time. The change in shade happens gradually over about two weeks. Bleaching gel is applied inside the trays and the trays are worn over your teeth for 15 minutes to an hour, every day, for 10-14 days. Some types of discolouration require longer periods of treatment to be most effective.
For some, it can be difficult wearing their whitening mouthguards every day, and compliance can be the issue. By using professional strength whitening products, we can quickly brighten up your smile. We use the Zoom whitening system which is one of the most effective, and most extensively tested systems available in the marketplace. The in-chair whitening system is ideal for anyone looking for immediate results and it is the perfect choice for the busy individual.
The whitening procedure is simple and efficient. First we would ensure that your oral hygiene is of a sound standard, before commencing the in-chair whitening. The in-chair whitening begins with preparation to isolate your lips and gums. Then the whitening gel will be applied to your teeth. The gel is then activated by a special light. The procedure can last up to two (2) hours, within those two hours, there are 2-4 sessions. In each session we remove the gel on your teeth and replace it with some new whitening gel. At the end of the procedure the gel is removed, and your mouth is rinsed clean. A fluoride treatment completes the procedure. You’ll be amazed by the results.